Friday 30 March 2018

SAP BO: Universe designer: IDT (Information Design Tool)

Today i would like to discuss on the topic which is of business objective or we say business intelligence now a days which is IDT. Every one who is in this domain is well familiar that we do use 2 widely known tools to date in BO i.e. UDT as well as IDT. The thing which actually matters is that what our client wish and with what we are more comfort in designing of universe in BO domain. So, let's start with IDT (information design tool ) today in this post.

I hope you understand it and it could make your work easy that you are doing.

               ------------IDT-------------

It is similar like that of older version of SAP BO 3.1 which was known as UDT (UNIVERSE DESIGN TOOL) and there the universe was saved in ‘.unv’ and here it is saved in ‘.unx’ extension. More over IDT is “TAB BASED” while the previous version was not like that and was “windows based”.

Let’s start from beginning and that is setting up of connection. The connection is either seted up or we will set a new connection. In my case I had created an ODBC connection to a MS access data base.

For this in my computer I go to local drive C and in that I opened the folder of Windows inside which I had a sub folder which contains several extensions and from there I clicked on the odbcad32.exe extension and a new window get opened up which is ODBC data source administrator.

In this I went to the first tab that was USER DSN which contain user data source and I clicked BPRM CONNECTION which have SQL SERVER as driver. Then I clicked the next tab that was SYSTEM DSN in which I clicked BOE05_ADVENTURE WORK and I added it. After clicking on add button a new window further open up which is CREATE NEW DATA SOURCE and then I scrolled down and clicked on MICROSOFT ACCESS DRIVER (“.mdb”) and click on finish button. After this a new window further opens up which is ODBC MICROSOFT ACCESS SETUP in which I provided the data source name as “MY SALES” and added a description to it and then clicked on SELECT which will further open up a new window called as SELECT DATABASE and I selected the database and then I clicked ok button and in this way my new connection got ready.

Then I opened “SAP BUSINESS OBJECT INFORMATION DESIGN TOOL” which contains 2 layers i.e. BUSINESS LAYER & FOUNDATION LAYER. In the IDT we can see when it open up that in left hand side there are list of local projects on top and down to that there is repository resources list.

Above the local project on the top left corner file option is there and we click on it and then go to new and then click NEW PROJECT. Give the project name as I had gave the name as “MY SALES UNIVERSE” and clicked finish button.

After that in local project section that is on LHS we can see “my sales universe”. Right click on it and go to new option or go back to file option on top and click on “relational connection” that I did and a new window got opened which was “NEW RELATIONAL CONNECTION” under which in resource name I gave the name as “MY SALES UNIVERSE” and I had given a brief description to it and then clicked next button which opened to “DATABASE MIDDLEWARE DRIVER SELECTION” in which there were list of drivers and I clicked on “MICROSOFT” under which I clicked “MS ACCESS 2003” under which there were ODBC drivers and then I clicked next button and we could see “parameters” section in which I clicked on test connection and it shows a result that “TEST SUCCESSFUL” and then finally clicked finish.

Then again I clicked on my sales universe on left side under local project  and right click on it then clicked new option under which I clicked on data foundation option and a new window get opened up which is “RESOURCE NAME”. in resource name I had given name as “MY SALES UNIVERSE DATA FOUNDATION” and clicked on to next button and now we could see “SELECT DATA FOUNDATION TYPE” and there are 2 options that is “single source” and “multi source enabled” in which I had taken single source connection and clicked on next button and then select the connection and click on finish button.

On RHS pane of IDT right click tables and then click insert tables. A new window get open from where we can select the tables that we require for the project. I had taken tables like (SALES FACT, ITEM DIMENSION, COUNTRY DIMENSION, and DATE DIMENSION) and then I click finish and these 4 tables got appeared on the “foundation layer “of IDT.

Then I created joins that I used to do in UDT. Then go the top clicked on action under which I clicked detect and check the cardinalities so that if there is any sort of error that could be checked.

Then I went again to the my sales universe on left side under local project and right clicked on it and clicked business layer which opened up a new window called as “NEW BUSINESS LAYER” IN WHICH THERE ARE TYPE OF DATA SOURCE I AND I selected relational data source after that again gave the resource name as “MY SALES UNIVERSE” after that next option that comes is that data foundation section in which we select and enable Ă„UTOMATIC CREATE CLASS AND OBJECT”AND then click finish.

Then after this we could see business layer on LHS with class and objects in that and we can even delete any class or object if required or else we leave it. We can even add new objects under class if required. For example as I added Ă„MOUNT OBJECT” from “SALES FACT TABLE” under a class named as “measure”

After this I again right clicked on my sales universe under local project and clicked on publish to repository. We can also publish to local folder. As I published to local folder in my project. After this a new window get open which is named as “PUBLISH A UNIVERSE TO A LOCAL FOLDER” in that I checked the integrity in which I clicked check all and then clicked next and finish. It will show universe published successfully.

After this I opened up the WEBI i.e. web intelligence in which I selected the universe option coz I had created the data in universe. We can also fetch data from excel or Bex queries. In my case I fetched data from the universe that I created for my project.

Then click on refresh universe and we could see “MY SALES UNIVERSE .UNX” click on it and open it. After that it opened up with class and objects on left side. In the right side it have options boxes like result objects, query filter, data preview.

We can now drag and drop objects from left to right side to result object box as per requirement. Like I had taken region name country name date year item name and amount and then I click on run the query button on right side top. After that we can see the report for the query objects that we have run.

Now I had given a name to my report like “MY SALES REPORT” and then we can do any sort of modifications in that like I added filters and hierarchies and prompts and variables and formulas and operators and hyperlink and etc.… and then I saved the document and publish finally.

Information Design Tool Flow Chart


Universe Design Tool Flow Chart

No comments:

Post a Comment

SAP BO: Universe designer: IDT (Information Design Tool)

Today i would like to discuss on the topic which is of business objective or we say business intelligence now a days which is IDT. Every o...